Patching a Kernel
- Get the patches from ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/. (opens a new browser)
- Save or move them to the directory where the source of your kernel is located. (I'm using /root/kernelsrc)
#cp patch*.gz /root/kernelsrc
- You can decompress the patch or apply the compressed patch to the kernel source. If you are patching multiple versions, (e.g. 2.4.10 to 2.4.14) apply all the patches in order from patch-2.4.11 to patch-2.4.14.
- Command to apply a compressed patch (the character is a zero in -p0):
#zcat patch-2.4.14.gz | patch -p0
- Command to apply a decompressed patch:
#patch -p0 < patch-2.4.14
- Recompile the kernel.